Jan 21, 2017

Pen and Ink Process

Hello again!
I showed a new painting to my Pen and Ink class this week, and promised to show the process photos.
Diese Woche habe ich meiner Klasse ein neues Bild gezeigt, und versprochen, den Prozess zu zeigen.

1. I started on medium-heavy watercolor paper, size is about 14x18. I took some acrylic paints (burnt sienna and buff titanium) and splashed some color where I saw the main shadows in the reference photo, and I also made a dark mark where the door would be.
1. Ich fing mit Aquarellpapier an, wobei ich mit Akrylfarben auf's Papier "wild" malte, wo ich die dunkelsten Stellen auf meinem Referenzphoto sah, z.B. die dunkle Holztuer.


2. I then started drawing with my cartridge pen that holds water-soluble ink. You can see that the door falls right where my dark colors are.
2. Dann nahm ich meinen Fueller, der wasserloesliche Tinte haelt, und fing zum Zeichnen an. Ihr seht, dass die Tuer genau richtig faellt.


3. I then took my cool gadget (brush with water reservoir in the handle, but you can also just use a normal watercolor brush and dip it in water) and brushed the ink from my drawn lines to create the shadows in nice small gradations.
3. Dann fing ich an, mit Wasser durch die Tintenlinien zu ziehen, womit ich die graduierten Tintenlasuren erreichte, um die Schatten anzuzeigen.


4. In this close-up please note the two medallions underneath the main character. The one on the left already has the subtle ink wash for shadows, while the one on the right is still just pure ink lines. You can see how quickly and easily you can develop the 3-D form and make it round and come forward.
4, Hier ein Detailphoto, bitte die zwei Medallions unter dem Ritter betrachten. Links habe ich schon die zarten Schatten gemalt (mit Wasser durch die Linien gezogen), waehrend rechts nur die rohe Linien-Zeichnung zu sehen ist. Wie man sieht, Schatten machen die Formungen und alles plastisch.


5. This picture shows the whole thing almost finished, with the text markings in the middle still being contemplated. I painted the words by just making small pen strokes, some rounded, some with long ascenders and descenders in straight lines to resemble text.
5. Dieses Bild zeigt das Bild dem Ende nahend (nach ca. 1 Stunde), mit der Mitte auf den Text wartend. Ich konnte nicht alle eingravierten Woerter zeichnen, deswegen machte ich einfach ein paar Stakkato-Linien, was von weiter weg wie eingemeisselter Text aussieht.


6. This is my reference photo. It's the portal of the Water Castle in Bad Rappenau in Germany.
6. Hier mein Referenzphoto, das Portal des Wasserschlosses in Bad Rappenau.


7. This is the final painting. I had a cream-colored mat and it didn't really provide enough contrast to the watercolor paper. So I masked off about 1/4" and put gold leaf on it, which not adhering in all places equally gave it a very artistic touch.
7. Hier das fertige Gemaelde. Ich hatte ein beiges Passpartout, aber da es nicht genug Kontrast zu meinem Papier hatte, legte ich etwa 10cm breites Goldblatt an, um eine schoene kuenstlerische Umrandung zu bekommen.


Keep painting. Ruth
Bis spaeter, Euere Ruth

No comments: