Oct 14, 2014

Canaveral Paintout 2014 - part 2

Here is the second part of my narration of events
Hier ist der 2. Teil meiner Erzaehlung

On Thursday I decided to set up on Canal Street again, my most favorite place in New Smyrna Beach, and tackle one of my biggest canvases yet, a 20"x16"! This was my second ever this size, and my self-built pochade box just about held it.
Am Donnerstag setzte ich meine Staffelei auf Canal Street auf, mein Lieblingsplatz in New Smyrna Beach, weil es dort historische und alte Gebaeude gibt, und das ganze ganz heimelig ist. Hier fing ich meine groesste Leinwand an, und meine selbstgebaute Staffelei und Malkasten hielten es grad noch aus.


Underpainting at location


Beginning of color lay-in. Note the sketchy-ness of the palm trees. Yum!


I decided to go fast and a bit more sketchy than usual, because even though I found a nice shady corner, it was very hot. I painted the viewpoint of some storefronts along Canal St, in the bright glaring sunshine. I really liked how the palm trees came out, very sketchy and artistic. It took me about 2 hours to finish this, and then I was exhausted.
Ich entschied mich, schnell und etwas skizzenhaft zu malen, denn obwohl ich in einer schattigen Ecke stand, war es sehr heiss. Es dauerte ca. 2 Stunden, um das Gemaelde fertigzubringen.

 Let's get some soda! - 20"x16", oil on panel SOLD

In the early evening we all met at JB's Fishcamp as every year, and painted in that small area, with the sun going down. I decided to sketch a bit, instead of hauling out all my oils and whole setup. In the evening we had all displayed one painting for the auction, which went very well. My palm painting from Monday was sold, and I was so excited! One of the organizers bought it.
Am Abend trafen sich alle Maler und Organisateure und das Publikum bei JB's Fishcamp, ein uriges Restaurant am Halifax Fluss, und dort malten wir alle, bis die Sonne unterging. So konnten interessierte Leute uns alle auf einmal in Action sehen, denn sonst malen wir ja an ziemlich verschiedenen Orten weit voneinander entfernt. Ich skizzierte nur ein bisschen, da ich keine Lust drauf hatte, alles rauszuschleppen. Mein erste Gemaelde vom Montag mit der Palme in Herbstfarben wurde auf der Auktion verkauft, yeah!

Showing my sketch to my fellow artist Kathleen

On Friday morning I was signed up to do a demo. I had everybody meet in almost the same spot as I was the day before. There is an empty lot off of Canal, with an old house at the end. I had painted it a few years ago and it sold at Wolfe Gallery, so I decided to paint it as my demonstration piece, because I really liked the shadows on it.
Am Freitag Morgen traf ich mich mit dem lokalen Publikum (ca 12 Leute) in einem leeren Grundstueck, von wo man einen guten Blick auf ein altes Haus hatte. Dieses Haus hatte ich vor ein paar Jahren gemalt und in der Gallerie in Deland verkauft, so entschied ich mich, es nochmal zu malen als Demonstrationsstueck. Die Schatten auf dem schneeweissen Haus sind echt toll.




I started with explaining and showing my setup, my brushes and color selections of my limited palette, and then demonstrated how detail is not as important as large value shapes that are correct. Rather focus on the shadow and lights being correct than every brick and every leaf. That gives your painting impact from across the room and also captures the atmosphere and light - not to mention get you started correctly from the beginning, in case someone decides to park in the middle of your scene, as it happened during the demo.
Ich fing die Demonstration damit an, mein Setup, Farben und Pinsel zu erklaeren, und dann zeigte ich, dass es nicht so wichtig ist, viele Details zu haben, als dass man sich lieber auf die grossen Formen und die wichtigen Schatten/Lichtspiele konzentriert. Das gibt mehr Impakt, wenn man das Bild von weiter weg anschaut, und ausserdem macht es dann  nichts aus, wenn ploetzlich jemand in deiner Szene parkt (wie es uns ging), denn du hast nun schon die wichtigsten Dinge eingefangen in den ersten 5 Minuten. Schatten und Licht.

Rhapsody with Blue (Demo) - 14"x11" oil on panel

The painting went very well and I finished the whole canvas within about an hour and a half, with constant talking. I am very proud of this one and really like how it came out.
Ich fand, dass die Demo sehr gut ging, und obwohl ich ununterbrochen redete, hatte ich das ganze Gemaelde schon in weniger als 1.5 Stunden fertig.

No comments: