Apr 15, 2015

New Direction!

Wow, what a workshop! I am so excited - I'm busting. I just took a 2-day workshop last weekend with local artist Christine Peloquin, who does mixed media portraits. I am so glad I took these lessons, I think I want to take my art into a whole new direction. I will still do plein airs in oils, but I will try to do more studio paintings in this new style - collaging different fibers and materials as an underbase, sketching the main parts in charcoal, and then painting in glazes in acrylics over it.
Wow, was fuer ein Wochenende! Ich bin so froh, dass ich diesen Workshop mit Kuenstlerin Christine Peloquin mitgemacht habe. Sie kreiert gemischte Mediengemaelde fuer Portraits. I glaube, dass meine Kunst eine neue Richtung einschlagen wird, so toll finde ich diese Methode!
Ich werde immer noch Plein Air Szenen in Oel malen, doch mehr Gemaelde im Studio fertigbringen in dieser Technik - mit verschidenen Stoffen und Papieren eine Basis als Collage kleben, dann mit Kohle die grossen Formen skizzieren, und dann mit weichen Acrylic-Farben in einigen duennen Schichten druebermalen.
Christine teaching

Students with Christine in the middle, and most of our artwork after 2 days

I did these 2 small fruit paintings first, and then after an unsuccessful flower painting (I really dislike painting organic details!) I went back to my beloved architecture and left it kind of wild in color and texture. I really love the technique, the interesting shapes and materials, and the great texture the underlying collage provides to the following painting. I would love to hear your comments.
Ich malte erst diese 2 kleinen Obstgemaelde, und dann, nach einem nicht gerade erfolgreichen Blumengemaelde (ich mag wirklich nicht gern organische Details malen), ging ich zurueck zu meiner geliebten Architektur. Ich malte diese 2 lokalen Szenen von Daytona Beach und liess sie ein bisschen wild und crazy. Ich finde diese Technik wirklich toll mit ihren interessanten Formen und Materialien, und der tollen Textur, die ich unter dem eigentlichen Gemaelde dadurch kriege. Ich wuerde mich ueber Kommentare sehr freuen.


Apple and Pear - Set of 5"x7" on board

Daytona Bandshell  14"x11"

Daytona Main Street Pier  14"x11"


More to come, I'm sure! Bald noch mehr, ganz sicher!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

those are cool I love her work can you share what the fabric/collaged base is adhered to the canvas with ? gel medium? or what?
thanks!

Ruth Squitieri said...

Hi Rose
it was matte medium. It is used to glue the fabric and paper together in layers, and also to thin your acrylic painting layers on top of the collage, and then it's also used at the end as a "varnish". Very cool stuff!