Jul 11, 2018

New plein air setup

Hello everybody! I hope you are all having a nice summer.
Hallo Ihr alle! Ich hoffe, Euer Sommer ist ganz toll!

I was teaching 3x during summercamp at the Artists Workshop studios. It was fun, I taught elementary school on 2 separate days, and then one day for the teens. The little kids got introduced to agamographs (too complicated to explain) and Picasso, and the teens did a self-portrait in Andy Warhol/pop style.
Ich half beim Summercamp bei uns in den Studios im Kunstclub in New Smyrna Beach, 2 Tage lang die Grundschueler, und einen Tag die Teenagers. Mit den Kleinen waren wir kreativ mit Amagographs (zu lang zu erklaeren!) und Picasso, und mit den Teens malten wir ein Selfportrait in Andy Warhol Stil.


These are the Agamographs.




At the end of the 4 weeks (2 weeks for children, 2 weeks for teens) I helped with cleanup and hang the resulting artworks for a show. Everybody was pleased and the parents were excited to view the various pieces of art.
Am Ende der 4 Wochen (2 Wochen Kinder, 2 Wochen Teens) half ich mit dem Aufraeumen und die Show zu haengen. Alle Eltern und Freiwilligen waren eingeladen, die vielen Kunstwerke zu bewundern.




Don't look for me on these photos, most of them were mine, so I'm not on any of them ;-(
(Leider bin ich auf keinem Photo, die habe ich alle selber geschossen)

________________________________________________________

During the summer I made a new setup for plein air painting for myself. I have used a pochade box for years now (almost 10) that I have also made for about 20 other artists who liked it. I initially had found the instructions on the internet. However, after spending some time with all the other professional artists at Forgotten Coast and comparing their various setups, I figured it was time for an upgrade. I ended up copying a setup that the artist James Coulter developed and sells. Being crafty, I figured it out and made my own for a fraction of the cost online. And it works well, too!
In den letzten paar Wochen habe ich mir einen neuen Setup fuer Plein Air Malen gezimmert. Ich habe meinen alten Pochade-Kasten nun fast 10 Jahre benutzt, und auch fuer ca. 20 Kuenstler gezimmert, denen er gefallen hatte. Ich hatte die Instruktionen auf dem Internet gefunden. Da ich nun so viele professionelle Kuenstler und deren verschiedene Setups waehren Forgotten Coast im Mai kennenlernte, dachte ich, es waere Zeit, meine Staffelei auf eine hoehere Stufe zu bringen. Ich kopierte den Setup des Kuenstlers James Coulter, der dies auf seiner Website verkauft. Da ich ja gut mit Werkzeugen bin, konnte ich mein eigenes mit ein bisschen Tueftelei fuer eine Fraktion des Preises selberzusammenzimmern. Es funktioniert echt gut!



I was very pleased with it as I took it out for a real painting session this week. We were at the Jetty Park in Ponce Inlet, FL (north of New Smyrna Beach) with family, and I snuck away for an hour to paint. Unfortunately I forgot my turpentine and paper towels, so I painted most of it with palette knife, which captured the breeze and liveliness of the scene.
Diese Woche konnte ich es nun endlich richtig ausprobieren. Wir waren mit Austin's Verwandten am Strand in Ponce Inlet, und ich konnte eine gute Stunde malen auf meiner neuen Staffelei. Leider vergass ich mein Turpentin und Papiertuecher, so dass ich fast das ganze Bild mit der Spachtel malte, was eigentlich die Briese und die Energie der Szene gut einfing.



Summer Afternoon 8"x10" oil on panel


Ruth

No comments: