Oct 24, 2011

Canaveral Seashore Paintout - Day 1 Paintings

In the morning I set up right by the Eldora House. The architecture was interesting and the shadows made a nice pattern. Since this was my first painting and I was full of energy, I decided on a "large" 14"x11".
Am Morgen setzte ich meine Staffelei gleich draussen vor dem Eldora Haus auf. Die Architektur und die Schattenspiele interessierten mich, und ich attacktierte ein "grosses" 35cm x 28cm.

Easel setup at the location.

Underpainting. The one on the left shows the initial placement of elements done in a rigger brush. Then I go over it with a normal bright and lay in the shadows, at times obliterating my initial drawing. That is okay, as it is plain to see, that a painting of just shadows and lights gives more information and looks more finished than a rather detailed drawing. Don't you agree?
Wie man sieht, haelt ein Gemaelde aus nur Schatten und Licht viel mehr zusammen als eine pure Zeichnung mit mehr Details. So fange ich meine Gemaelde an, eine kurze Zeichnung, um die Plazierung richtig hinzukriegen, und dann die all-wichtigen Schatten.


Color lay-in. I proceed with the main colors, the shadows and greenery, and then - ah, the sky blue. It always looks great when you start the sky over the burnt sienna underpainting. On the right, I am almost finished with the background, and just need to finish the shadows of the porch and details all over.
Dann lege ich die Farben ein, was besonders atemberaubend ist, wenn man den Himmel ueber das gebrannte Sienna der Untermalung malt. Rechts bin ich fast fertig, bis auf die Schatten unter'm Haus und die letzten Details.



Morning at Eldora  14"x11" oil on masonite $500


After lunch I decided to drive around and scout out some locations for tomorrow. I already felt exhausted, and the wind was really whipping. Just as I wanted to give up, I found a cozy spot at a lagoon, where I met 3 other artists. I decided to do a little painting right there, to push myself. It was a marsh view, with just water and trees, nothing I really felt comfortable with. See scene setup below.
Nach dem Mittagessen wollte ich eigentlich nur rumfahren, um einige Plaetze fuer morgen auszukundschaften, da ich mich schon muede fuehlte und der Wind noch staerker blies. Ich fand einen ruhigeren Platz mit 3 anderen Kuenstlern, und obwohl die Szene nicht mein Uebliches war, fand ich es nach einer knappen Stunde sehr befriedigend.


However, less than an hour later I was very satisfied with my little painting.


Afternoon Glitter   10"x8" oil on masonite $350


After the end of the day this is may display wall at the gallery at Eldora. The painting in the gold frame was one of my summer efforts on Canal Street. I am very proud of today's efforts.
Am Ende des Tages ist dies meine Wand in der Gallerie. Siehe Schild links "Wet Paint" haha. Ich bin sehr stolz auf meine Bilder von heute, das oben im goldenen Rahmen ist von diesem Sommer.

No comments: