Oct 28, 2012

Canaveral Paintout 2012 - Day 4

The 4th day started out very windy. Hurricane Sandy was churning up the water and it was very windy. Linda Blondheim was scheduled to do a demo right at the beach under the new Flagler Pavilion, and she braved the wind and drizzle on her face and did a great and informative demo on painting and sculpting clouds with her paintbrush.
Der vierte Tag fing sehr windig und stuermisch an, denn Hurrikan Sandy fegte auf unsere Kueste los. Linda Blondheim hatte ihre Demo genau am Strand, und sie war sehr mutig und malte tolle Wolken trotz Wind und Regen in ihrem Gesicht.


After lunch I was scheduled to give my demo at Island Collections on Flagler Ave. It is a very small but great shop full of wonderful furniture from all over the world. They have great vases, artifacts and historical items, it was great to discover this awesome little treasure. I set up under a structure from Bali in the small courtyard and painted the converted garage which houses even more items, with an umbrella in the sun and some foliage behind it.
Nach dem Mittagessen gab ich meine Demo in einem tollen Laden in Flagler Avenue. Er ist sehr klein, jedoch vollgestopft mit vielen Moebeln und Vasen und kuenstlerischem Kram von ueberall in der Welt. Es war sehr malerisch, auch draussen im kleinen Vorhof. Ich waehlte eine Szene im Vorhof unter einer schattigen Konstruktion aus Bali, jedoch war es nicht so mein Geschmack, ich wollte eigentlich eine Strassenszene malen, konnte es jedoch nicht von diesem Punkt aus.

 
This is my underpainting. It wasn't a scene I would have picked and so the final result wasn't really frameable, but I believe I got my points across. Several people came up to me later and told me how informative I made it and how well I presented the information and answered questions. I really like to teach!
Meine Untermalung oben, und wie gesagt, das fertige Gemaelde war nicht rahmens-wert, doch mir wurde von mehreren Seiten gesagt, dass ich sehr informativ war und sie alles gut verstanden hatten. Mir gefaellt das Lehren wirklich sehr!

About 20 minutes into the demo there was a sudden downpour and we all huddled under the covered porch. This changed my vantage point and I lost the sunlight. I relied on a picture I had taken earlier with my phone, and made up the highlights. Another excuse for not turning out a masterpiece ;-) But hey, now I can say I did a demonstration painting in a hurricane!
Nach ca. 20 Minuten fing es plötzlich an zu schütten, und wir mussten alle eng zusammenrücken. Dies änderte nun meinen Blickwinkel, doch zum Glück hatte ich ein paar Photos frueher gemacht, wo die Sonne noch draussen war und die Szene besser aussah - noch eine Ausrede, dass das fertige Gemälde nicht so besonders doll aussah. Aber wenigstens kann ich nun behaupten, dass ich in einem Hurrikan gemalt und gelehrt habe!


On Thursday evening we all met at JB's Fishcamp about 1 mile outside the park, and did a sunset painting. This year it was a bit different, as there were too many clouds to give us a colorful sunset. However, most of us did paint something there, and then at 7pm we had an auction for the public. Almost every artist contributed at least one painting, and most of them were auctioned off for the desired amounts. It was great fun. 
Wie letztes Jahr trafen wir uns alle in einem Restaurant, wo wir den Sonnenuntergang malten, der dieses Jahr nicht so besonders war, da es sehr bedeckt und windig war. Danach gab es eine Auktion, zu der fast alle Kuenstler mindestens ein Gemaelde beigetragt hatten, und fast alle Bilder wurden zu dem gewuenschten Preis versteigert. Es war ein tolles Ereignis.

Pictures courtesy of Ted, the official Canaveral Paintout photographer.

This was my little sunset painting. Again, the photo is really blurry and bad.
Mein kleiner Sonnenuntergang, das Photo ist leider nicht so toll.

Painting at the dock at JB's.
Kuenstler am Steg von JB's Fishcamp Restaurant.

No comments: