Oct 23, 2012

Canaveral Seashore Paintout 2012 - Day 2

Palms at Leeper House, 14"x11", oil on masonite

Another successful day! In the morning I set up at Leeper House (a pathway next to Eldora House) where Elaine Hahn did a small demo. I went around the side and caught the porch in the morning sun, with the grounds and palms in great light, while she painted the front with many spectators. I went back and forth between my painting and her demo, which was very interesting.
Wieder ein toller Tag! Am Morgen ging ich zum Leeper House, wo eine andere Kuenstlerin eine Demo vor grossem Publikum malte. Ich ging zur Seite des Hauses und malte ein groesseres Gemaelde zwischendurch, da ich auch ihre Malweise sehen wollte. Es war sehr interessant. Man lernt immer viel, andere Kuenstler beim Arbeiten zu beobachten.

 
Setup with underpainting, and finished painting.

After lunch I tried the beach which was very windy. However, I met Charles Dickinson and Elisabeth Ferber there and decided to sit in the sand and do a quick one.
Nach dem Mittagessen versuchte ich wieder mal den Strand, wo es sehr windig war. Ich traf jedoch 2 andere Kuenstler und verbrachte eine gute Stunde mit ihnen.

Charles painting, and Elisabeth's setup on the right.

The waves were wild and the wind was blowing, but down on the ground it was acceptable. The roar of the ocean and the wind in my face was very distracting, so I hurried even more than usual. As I got up to step away and view the painting from a distance, a wind blew my whole setup in to the sand. I could, however, brush most of it off once I was home, and now the piece is a real plein air, with real New Smyrna Beach sand in it! - in the clouds nonetheless, LOL.
Die Wellen waren ganz wild, und die Briese war nur nahe am Grund ertraeglich, so setzte ich mich in den Sand. Es war jedoch ziemlich laut mit Wind und Wellen, was sehr stoerend war. Als ich am Schluss aufstand, um das Gemaelde von einer Ferne anzuschauen, kam ein Windstoss und stuerzte meine ganze Staffelei um, gerade in den Sand. 

Wild Ocean, 10"x8", oil on panel

As soon as I was done with this second piece I decided to pack up for the day and clean my pochade box at home, frame the paintings and get a good start for tomorrow.
Ich malte schnell fertig und packte dann ein. Daheim konnte ich die meisten Sandkoerner wegstaueben, jedoch blieben einige in der Farbe, und natuerlich in den Wolken, haha! Jedoch ist das nun ein wirklich echtes Plein Air, mit richtigem New Smyrna Beach Sand!

See you then! Ruth

No comments: